Monday 10 September 2012

How to put a meal together from an empty fridge.

I went for a long walk yesterday, albeit round the shops of Bath, which seems to have exacerbated my knee injury so no body magic for me today sadly.

After our weekend away we didn't have much food in the house so my breakfast consisted of an apple and a yoghurt. It was a Shape Delight 0% Apple crumble yoghurt though so all was not lost and half a syn well spent.

I had another bowl of the mushroom and watercress soup for lunch- I highly recommend it, you can really taste the watercress.

This afternoon I must confess to feeling absolutely ravenous. I don't know whether it was just boredom because I'm having to put my feet up or true hunger but I really had to fight the urge to pick all afternoon. I ended up indulging in 3 caramel Slimming World hi Fi light bars at the expense of 1 HEB and 3 syns.

Dinner is something of a hotchpotch this evening. Like I said before, the cupboards are bare so I threw together Butternut squash & French been curry, Chargrilled aubergines with a spicy tomato sauce & hasselback potatoes.

I purchased the curry from the farm shop so it was just a case of the old defrost, heat & serve: My favourite recipe!

Chargrilled Aubergine:

1) Cut the aubergine into 1cm rounds
2) Spray griddle pan with Frylight & heat until very hot.
3) Griddle the aubergine rounds for approx 3 mins on either side.

Spicy tomato sauce:

1) Add 2 chopped garlic cloves, 1/2 teaspoon of paprika & a tin of chopped tomatoes to a pan. Season with sea salt & black pepper.

2) Bring to the boil then reduce heat slightly, cover and allow to simmer for approx 10 mins. Serve on top of the aubergine rounds.

This tomato sauce is really quick and easy to make and would make a fantastic pasta sauce. Double the quantities for a pasta sauce as it reduces quite a bit. It's so versatile it would also spice up Quorn, sausages, burgers...

What have you all been eating today? Please let me know- I'm always looking for inspiration. @amy8n

Thanks for reading,
Amy


No comments:

Post a Comment